Updated 2021 Season FAQ
Q: What do new swimmers need to know?
A: We're excited to meet new swimmers! Here are a few things to know:
- Swimmers need to be able to swim across the pool unassisted to join the Orcas.
- Practice is 4 days a week M-Th.
- There are 6-8 swim meets throughout the season. Meets are on the weekends. Swimmers must participate in 2 meets to qualify for NVAL champs at the end of the season.
- Parents sign up their swimmers for meets. There is an extra cost per race for weekend swim meets.
- Registration does not include the USA swimming fee of $50.75* (If unchanged from 2020 season. Pay for that at https://swim-smarter.com. Select "Individual" for the membership. If you or your swimmers qualify for assistance, select "Outreach" and contact Mark Brown at: email@example.com for a reduced rate.
Q: Are there refunds if we change our mind?
A: There are no refunds. In the event a swimmer is registered but ineligible for the team due to an inability to swim across the pool unassisted, a refund MAY be issued. These families will receive a coupon for 25% off swim lessons at the Oroville YMCA.
Q: What are Covid restrictions/guidelines for swim season?
A: Please keep in mind that guidelines change often, but as of right now this is our plan:
- We will have to watch the number of swimmers in the pool at any given time. At this point we can have up to 60 swimmers register. We are hoping to increase that as things continue to get better in our county.
- Everyone will be temp checked upon entry to the pool area.
- Anyone not swimming needs to be wearing a mask and social distance while in the pool area.
Q: Where will we swim this season?
A: Palermo Pool for the 2021 season. Nelson pool is under construction. The plan was for it to be complete before swim season started. Unfortunately, delays caused it to be under construction through the summer.
Q: What does the swim team cost?
A: Swim team is $150 per swimmer. There is a discount with families of 3+ swimmers. This registration fee does not include the USA swimming fee of $50.75.
Q: What is the schedule?
A: Depending on skill level, swimmers will practice 30 min - 2 hours per day Mon-Thur. Practice times will be 5:00-8:00pm (these times are subject to change based on pool availability). We won't be able to give more specifics on the practice schedule until we have all swimmers registered and evaluated. Swim meets will be on some weekends throughout the season. We will post the swim meet schedule on our website as soon as we get it.
Q: When does the season start and end?
A: May 10-Aug 1 This is contingent on the weather and pool conditions as Palermo pool is not heated. Swim season ends with the NVAL Champs swim meet July 30-Aug 1, so the last day of practice will be July 29.
Q: What is the minimum age for swimmers?
A: Age 4 is the minimum, but they must be able to swim across the pool unassisted to qualify.